Saturday, February 2, 2013

Happy Imbolc!

Today marks the halfway point between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox.  The ancient name for this day is Imbolc, a time of celebration and festival.  The goddess Brigid is often associated with this day.  Brigid is a triple Goddess who presides over three important aspects of life.  She is a Goddess of fertility and childbirth, healing, crafts, and poetry, among others. She is also said to be a goddess of purification and change.  


There are a variety of ways to celebrate this special day and honor Brigid.  Many use this time to "spring clean" their homes.  I plan to do this today!  :)  
Another idea is to make a Brigid's cross.  This cross was said to protect the home from fire in the upcoming year.  


Brigid is associated with fire, so one of the easiest ways to honor her, is by lighting a candle!  


Imbolc is a good time to reflect on what you want to change in your life, what things you must release in order to make room for new growth.  


Perhaps my favorite way to honor Brigid, is by getting crafty!!!  :)




Brigit, gold-red woman,
Brigit, flame and honeycomb,
Brigit, sun of womanhood,
Brigit, lead me home.

You area branch in Blossom.
You are a sheltering dome.
You are my bright precious freedom.
Brigit, lead me home.
-Author Unknown



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful image! Thanks for the informative post about the Goddess Brigid and IImbolc! I will be lighting a candle in her honor tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Imbolc! I bought a couple of Brid's crosses in Ireland when I went and they've been hanging on the wall here ever since. Never did get the hang of making corn dollies though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love learning new things like this....I may be a little late, but I'll light a candle in her honor today :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)