Saturday, November 24, 2012

Holiday Tree Skirt DIY

I wanted to share a quick tutorial with you all today!  If you're anything like me, you cringe at the price tag that comes with the store bought tree skirts.  That's why I decided to make my own this year!  I wanted something quick and inexpensive.  My first thought was to use oilcloth fabric but then I came across a round vinyl tablecloth for less than $4!  It was 60" which was way too big...so I just cut it down to size.  I can't give you an exact measurement because I just eyeballed it.  :)  Here are the supplies I used:  vinyl tablecloth in a festive holiday print
scissors
bias tape
fabric glue


Step 1:  Fold the tablecloth in half.  Cut out a semi circle from the center of your folded material.  This will be where the tree will sit.  


Step 2:  Unfold your tree skirt and cut a straight line down one side, clear to the circular portion that you cut out in the previous step.  


Step 3:  Slip your bias tape over the cut edge of your fabric so that the bias tape sandwiches the fabric.  Squeeze a thin line of glue onto your fabric and press the bias tape firmly down.


Step 4:  Continue gluing the bias tape, a little at a time.  


Step 5:  Turn your tree skirt over and glue down the bias tape along the back as well.  


Step 7:  Allow the glue to dry and then place the skirt under your tree!


Sit back and enjoy your beautiful tree!  :)  

8 comments:

  1. I like this idea. I wonder if I can find a round tablecloth here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not, I can send you one for next year!

      Delete
  2. We like to do a different color scheme on our tree every year....but are stuck with the same old skirt ( I refuse to pay $20 or more for one, too)....what a great idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That came out so wonderfully! I really need to make one for our tree this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super easy and inexpensive. You should give it a try! :). I'd love to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  4. I love this diy! And the tartan print. So traditional and Christmassy!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)