Sunday, August 12, 2012

Vegan Daze

I've been cooking up a vegan storm today!  I went a little mad at the grocery store on Friday (never ever shop when you're hungry).  :)  Now I have tons of fresh produce to use up before it goes bad.  
I decided to try a brand new (to me) recipe from this lovely cookbook:


I made the un-tuna salad!  


I'm not going to type out the whole recipe here.  You can probably find it online somewhere if you are interested!
I started out with two cans of garbanzo beans...


Mashed them into oblivion with my trusty potato masher.  ;)  


Diced several stalks of celery and shredded one carrot...


Added these...


My favorite was the kelp.  I've never used kelp before.  


Mixed it all together and tasted it.  The recipe said you could add curry powder for a kick but I didn't have any on hand.  I did throw in some turmeric for color though.  I'm a turmeric fiend.  Love the stuff!  


Spooned the salad into a pita and added some blue corn chips and a pickle.  Perfect!  


While the un-tuna salad was chilling, I whipped up the Vanilla Yogurt Pound Cake from Veganomicon (I'll post pics of it later...after it's cooled).  That recipe called for silken tofu but only about half the package.  So I used the remaining tofu to make a tasty smoothie!  It's got peaches, banana, and all sorts of berries in it along with the silken tofu and a bit of soy milk.  Tasty!  


Hope you all had a lovely weekend!  :)  

4 comments:

  1. This recipe looks like something my daughter would love. She is not a vegan, but is a vegetarian and always on the lookout for new recipes. Also, I read with interest about your Blythe Doll. It is a really cute doll. I have seen them around, but don't remember them from the 70's. Of course, I was in my 20's at that time! Good luck with your sewing for your doll. I a make clothing for American Girl dolls, but have never made anything for a Blythe doll. By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia, it was pretty tasty. She should give it a try!

      Yes, the Blythe doll was released in 1972 and was only produced for one year. Deemed to "scary" for kids. My Mom doesn't remember them either.

      Ah...American Girls! My little sister loved them!

      Delete
  2. The un tuna looks good....but was quickly thrust from my mind by the mention of vanilla Yogurt Pound Cake!!

    MMmmmm........
    ;P

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)