Saturday, June 2, 2012

Craft Time

Hello all!  Sorry I've been MIA for so long.  My laptop charger bit the dust and I've had to wait so long for the new one to arrive!  I've been chomping at the bit to get back online.  At last!  Sigh...

So I've been thrifting a lot recently.  As in every week.  Because I've become such a penny pincher that I don't want to spend my hard earned money on new, expensive clothes.  Instead I've been scoring some great finds at my local thrift shop.  Last week I shelled out $40 and came home with 5 new shirts and 3 pairs of pants and some vintage pillowcases.  Can't beat that.  :)  

I've been keeping my eye out for cute tee shirts in any size.  When I saw this one, I snatched it up and decided to turn it into a eco friendly shopping bag.  I found this tutorial and went to work:  http://honestlywtf.com/diy/diy-market-bag/

1.  Cut the sleeves off.


2.  Snip 4 strips from the sleeves and gently pull to stretch them out.


3.  Snip evenly spaced notches in the hem of the shirt. 


4.  Attach a safety pin to the end of one strip and thread it through the hem.  Repeat til you have used all the fabric strips.  Pull and tie in double knots to close the bottom of the bag.  


5.  Enjoy your festive new shopping bag!  :)  


I meant to post these earlier but never got around to it.  This is what I made my Mom for Mother's Day.  Two dishtowels embroidered with gnomes and mushrooms!  Super cute and easy.  Too bad she wont use them!  She thinks handmade things are too precious to actually use...so she keeps them for looks.  I'm the complete opposite.  I love love love using handmade goods!  Where do you stand?  




5 comments:

  1. I LOVE that t shirt---now a cool bag. love it! And the mushroom neddle point, so sew cute. Go girl!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those towels are definately precious! I don't know if I could bring myself to use them everyday.....but tea parties and special occasions...yes!

    I'm with you on Thrift store shopping. 90% of my wardrobe is secondhand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute repurposing! I suck at it, always end up ruining the original item and any potential of it turning into something else. I LOVE thrifting. I get all my nightgowns from thrift stores because they sell the saucy little ones from the 1950s and 60s and they just don't make em like that anymore! Love your embroidery. I don't think I'd want to dirty them either to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer! I found the cutest vintage nighty at a yard sale last summer. Pink, lacey, floaty...adorable! So I know what you mean. :)

    Cameron, isn't thrifting the best!?? I scored some more cute things today. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)