Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Resolutions

I'm notoriously bad at keeping resolutions.  Yet every year I find myself making a new list and when I don't accomplish it, I beat myself up.  What can I say?  I'm a glutton for punishment.  ;)  

So this year maybe I should attempt to set smaller, more realistic goals.  Things that I have a chance of actually completing.  




1.  Be gentle with myself.  
My Mother gave me a framed copy of Desiderata one year.  I've always liked the last two paragraphs the most:

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

I have this sitting on my personal alter where I can see it daily and be reminded.




2.  Craft more.  
Tuning into my inner crafty chica really helps me to relax.  I tend to get all caught up in the day to day struggles that sometimes I don't make the time to do the things I love.  I plan to remedy this!




3.  Become more organized.  
It's in my nature to be messy.  I've accepted this about myself and perhaps have gotten a bit too comfortable with it.  This really hit home this week when I spent 8 hours cleaning my bedroom.  That is just crazy!  So in order to accomplish this, I think I need to concentrate on putting things back in their proper place as soon as I'm done with it.  I always toss things down with the intention of putting it away later.  Yeah....that never happens!  


google image


4.  Dedicate more time to my spirituality.  
Again, this is something that gets pushed aside because I'm so busy with my daily routine.  I used to be so in tune with my spirituality and I felt better, more connected because of it.  So my resolution here is to spend a small amount of time daily either reading books that pertain, meditating, etc.  

There are many other things I could add to this list but I don't want to overwhelm myself!  

What is your most important resolution for the upcoming year? 

4 comments:

  1. I think this is a full list....full of encouragement...full of hope...

    I see all these things as being interwoven....I think it'll be easier for you to be gentler on yourself when you are feeling more connected spiritually....being more organized will help you find more time to devote to craftiness...etc...

    Looks like you are setting yourself up for success!

    Have a fab New Year! It's going to be a great one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right Cameron. Thanks for your sweet comments! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great resolutions. I think spirituality is a goal we all can work on. My resolutions are to blog more and to educate myself about a healthy vegan diet. Since I'm a brand new vegan, this might take some work, but I think I might be able to accomplish both of my goals through my brand new blog Et tu, Tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Miss Lola! Becoming vegan is an awesome goal for the new year. If you ever need any tips or recipes, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)