Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bad day...

Following so soon on the heels of Petunia's death, another tragedy has struck my home.  Monday morning as I was backing out of my driveway I somehow managed to run over my kitty Gabriel's leg.  I'm not even sure how it happened.  I always look around the car for cats and I back out so slowly.  I'm guessing he must have darted behind me at the last second.  I heard a terrible *crunch* and then I saw him trying to run off.  When I caught up with him I saw that his leg was hanging loosely and I immediately knew that it was broken.  :(  
I took him to my vet where they felt his leg and told me that both bones were broken in his right leg.  They didn't take his temp or x-rays or anything.  The doctor said they would keep him overnight and attempt to put a cast on him the next morning.  I watched as they gave him a shot for pain and then I kissed him goodbye and left with instructions to call the vet office at 2 pm the next day.  

Tuesday at ten I got a call from the doctor saying that Gabriel had really gone downhill overnight.  His temp was at 90 degrees (which for a cat is hypothermia).  The vet was very negative...told me that he wasn't going to attempt to fix the bone until he figured out why Gabriel's temp was so low.  He immediately suggested testing for feline leukemia.  At that point I was wondering why he would be running that test when Gabes was in such bad condition...but I let him do what he felt was needed.  Of course the test came back negative.  At that point the doctor said all he could do was give Gabes a warm IV and a heating pad. I told him to do so immediately and then the vet advised me to call back at 2 to check on his condition.  

That was the longest four hours of my life!  Finally I called and was put on hold for ten minutes!  The vet couldn't even be bothered to speak with me at that point...the receptionist told me that Gabriel had passed away.  I started sobbing immediately...even the poor receptionist was crying.  After I had calmed down I started asking questions.  When I asked why he had died the answer was "it's hard to say".  Really???  I asked her about the care Gabriel had received after I had left.  He was put in a cage with a little canned food.  He was not give fluids or a heating pad.  He was left for over 17 hours with no one monitoring his condition.  Now I'm no vet but this leads me to believe that my poor cat died because he was in shock...his body temp dropped drastically...and death resulted.  I don't think it's just me looking to pin his death on someone....I honestly think that my vet was negligent.  I am so upset and angry and yes, even guilty.  I mean I was the one who broke his leg.  I was the one who entrusted my injured cat to someone who did not have his best interests at heart.  This is the second cat that has spent the night at my vets office and died.  

After I pick up Gabriel's ashes this weekend,  I will never return to that particular vet.  Now I have to live with the guilt of this for the rest of my life.  

Gabriel was nicknamed "sunshine" or "sun" for short because he was such a happy fellow.  He loved me more than any cat should love a human.  He used to do this adorable trick where he would sit at my feet and then suddenly leap straight up into my arms.  It was adorable and he would then curl himself around my neck like a living fur stole.  He loved going for walks with me and the dogs.  He'd stay with us the whole time and when we'd head home he would be right at my heels.  He was truly a special boy.  I am so sad that he died alone in a cage...

I'm sorry Gabriel.  





5 comments:

  1. This is about to make me cry. So sorry you lost this sweet guy.

    Maybe you could do a review of this place online. It might discourage others from risking their pet's health and well-being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! :( I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty...hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a heartbreaking tragedy :( I'm so sorry, Heather...so, so sorry.....

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)