Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Banana Goodness!

There's a plethora of bananas starting to go bad so I thought I better use them up. I'm oh so tired of making the old standby, banana bread, so this time I made banana cake! I really don't think there's that much difference but for the sake of my sanity we're going to pretend. Everyone cool with that? ;)
I found this recipe over at chooseveg.com.

Banana Cake

Serves 8

  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup raw sugar or other sweetener
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 4 ripe bananas
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil together, then add the bananas and mash them. Stir in the water and vanilla, and mix thoroughly. Add the flour mixture along with the chopped walnuts, and stir to mix.

Spread in a non-stick or lightly oil-sprayed 9-inch square baking pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Recipe from Food for Life by Neal D. Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond.


So first I assembled the ingredients:


Mixed it all together and poured it in the cake pan:
Sprinkled it with a bit of powdered sugar:
Here it is resting on a cake stand. Looks good!
What's your favorite banana recipe?

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome because I have a very large amount of bananas that need to be put into a cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake will use up some of them! I had to make banana pancakes today and I still had about 6 bananas leftover. I ended up freezing them to be used in smoothies later on.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)